Review of How to Cheat at Securing a Wireless Network Posted

Amazon.com just posted my three star review of How to Cheat at Securing a Wireless Network. From the review:

How to Cheat at Securing a Wireless Network (HTCASAWN) seemed to have a lot of promise. A quick initial look showed discussions of wireless VLANs, WPA, and command syntax for Cisco gear. I thought this would be a good book to read and review, since I try to avoid reading and reviewing books I won't find useful. About halfway through HTCASAWN I made a sad discovery: 7 of 12 chapters are duplicates of chapters from books published in 2001 and 2002, and an eighth chapter largely duplicates a book from 2004. What would probably have been a 4 star review immediately became a tenuous 3 star review, thanks to apparently verbatum reprinting of old material.

This book should probably be called How to Cheat at Writing a Book About Securing a Wireless Network. :(

Comments

C.S.Lee said…
Again we all dissapointed, they are still following their old practice which is seriously bad. Don't they know to raise the standard?
Anonymous said…
Having content from other books may not necessarily be a bad thing. Like many things it depends. If the content were current and relevant to the subject of a book, I might find it useful to have it all in one place rather than have to open / remember / search several books.

However, information on wireless from 2001 - 2002 may very well be useless since the technology has changed quite a bit.
Unknown said…
It bothers me that Syngress continues to do this without at least notifying the buyer that it has happened. I buy WAY to many books, ask my wife, and I have pretty much stopped buying any Syngress books unless I am buying it used. I just got tired of buying a book, getting part way through and rereading the book I read last month.

Kevin

Popular posts from this blog

Zeek in Action Videos

New Book! The Best of TaoSecurity Blog, Volume 4

MITRE ATT&CK Tactics Are Not Tactics