Prereview: Inside the Machine

Thank you to Patricia at No Starch for sending me two copies of Jon Stokes' Inside the Machine. I was drawn to this book by an Amazon.com review which said this:

This book is an introduction to computers that fills the gap between classic and challenging books like Hennesy and Patterson's, and the large number of "How Your Computer Works" books that are too basic for engineers.

I like the fact the book covers a variety of microprocessor types. Comparison is a great teaching method. I didn't know who Jon Stokes was, but you can follow that link to read about his motivation for writing the book. I plan to read and review the new book next month.

Comments

Ryan Russell said…
My copy arrived a few days ago, I bought it myself after seeing it on the Ars Technica RSS feed. I haven't had any time to read it yet, but glancing at the book itself, I'm impressed with the actual book (as opposed to the contents, which I can't comment on yet.) In about 60 seconds of thumbing, I see the binding looks great (it's hardcover), the color pages look really nice, and the graphics appear to be well done.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

Zeek in Action Videos

New Book! The Best of TaoSecurity Blog, Volume 4

MITRE ATT&CK Tactics Are Not Tactics